Access and Scaffolding is an important part of most construction contracts and contractors need to know they are receiving the highest quality of service. Consequently, many public and private organisations, and an increasing number of local authorities are now specifying that the Access providers they employ must be members of the JASC.
JASC membership will lift the profile of applicants by identifying them as a reputable company. For many clients such as main contractors and public authorities this could be the key to acceptance on tender lists.
Change is a constant factor for our members, whether from the construction industry, the economy or from government legislation. We provide up-to-the-minute information through our own regular newsletters, annual reviews and bulletins.
JASC committees covering specialist areas such as technical standards and recruitment give members direct contact for advice. We provide a forum for discussion of issues and act as a link between members.
Membership offers many opportunities to meet new contacts and exchange views. The Association reports to its members at annual meetings.
How to Join
01Read our Code of Conduct [click to open]
Adherence to the following Code of Conduct is a condition of membership of the Jersey Association of Scaffolding Contractors (JASC)
Applicants must be prepared to abide by the JASC Code of Conduct and the JASC membership Rules.
- Members of the JASC shall at all times so order their conduct as to uphold the integrity and trading standards of the Chanel Islands access and scaffolding industry and pay particular regard to the maintenance and observance of this code.
- Service to clients shall be rendered with absolute fidelity on a fair and equitable basis with due regard to the best standards of workmanship, integrity and courtesy. The utmost care and good faith shall be observed in the preparation of statements and estimates, having regard to the necessity for accuracy and reliability of such documents in providing a basis for transactions to be carried out with the full confidence and mutual trust of the parties concerned.
JASC General Requirements
- Members shall be loyal to the interests of the JASC and shall play an active part in the work of the JASC, attend and participate at meetings. A minimum requirement is attendance at one JASC meeting per annum. They shall be prepared to accept nomination to office and generally further the interests of the JASC and its members.
- Training in the range of skills required by the scaffolding trade shall be accepted as a collective responsibility and Members shall play their part in upholding and improving standards by participation especially in training schemes recommended by the JASC, States of Jersey HSI, or the JSC.
- Safety is of paramount importance and members shall maintain, operate and review as necessary, a safety policy which takes account of current health and safety regulations, standards, codes of practice and guidance.
- Members must be able to demonstrate that industry best practice and manufacturer’s instructions/assembly guides are followed, this includes working to SG4:15, BSEN 12810-1, BSEN 12811-1, the latest version of TG20 and any other relevant safety guidance, including any design drawings and site specific requirements.
- Member companies must ensure that when pricing for a contract that they have the resources in relation to equipment and manpower to undertake the said contract. Members should only price for contracts that they are capable of completing within their limitations, including, size, duration, equipment, workforce, logistics and physical capabilities.
02View Membership Criteria [click to open]
JASC membership is open to all bona fide access and scaffolding companies in the Chanel Islands.
Associate membership is also open to all companies where access and scaffolding constitutes an element of their business. I.e. Health & Safety Consultants, Hire Companies, Training Providers. Any Scaffold company wanting to become a member can do so on an initial 3 month period then will have to meet the full JASC Membership criteria within that period.
In order to become a member an applicant has to be able to demonstrate that they have met the following criteria prior to the application:
- Trading: The applicant has to have been trading for 2 years.
- Insurance: The applicant must hold adequate levels of insurance appropriate to the activities of the business which includes a minimum Public Liability of 5 million and Employers' Liability of 10 million.
- Employment: The applicant must be able to show that all management and supervision are directly employed.
- Training: The JASC is committed to the full registration of site employees under the CISRS scheme. Applicants must be able to produce records and evidence of previously completed training to meet the following minimum requirements:
• The scaffolding workforce must hold a current CISRS, Safety & Access or STARS card. This includes Trainee Scaffolders, Scaffolders and Advanced Scaffolders.
• The scaffolding workforce (including Yard Staff and Drivers) must hold a Safety Passport or equivalent card.
• All applicants must demonstrate their commitment to the continued training and development of the workforce and provide evidence to support this.
- Health and Safety: The applicant must Audited by Safety & Access Training & Auditing.
- Audit: The applicant must hold the following Documentation as part of Audit:
• Provide a Health & Safety policy that meets current local Health & Safety legislation
• Provide a Risk Assessments and Method Statements/Scaffold Plan
• Proof of Insurance Policy.
• Not be under investigation or have any charges pending for breaches of Health & Safety legislation.
• Scaffold Training Register.
• Harness Register & Rescue Plan.
• Proof of Scaffold Design's.
• Handover Certificate.
- Security: The applicant must ensure that all scaffolding plant and equipment which it owns or uses is clearly identifiable. JASC members are expected to be actively involved in crime prevention and should report all thefts of scaffolding plant and equipment to the JASC and the police.
- Meeting Attendance: The applicant must be represented by a member of staff at a minimum of one JASC meeting per year, preferably more. The applicant must nominate a representative to participate in JASC committees e.g. training, health and safety, technical, contractual, and security.
03Fill out an application
The cost for membership to the Jersey Association of Scaffolding Contractors is £500 per annum.